Our daily thoughts have a HUGE impact on our mental health and our lives. And too often, I see the people I care about, and even myself, being held back because of negative mindsets, lies that they believe, and hopelessness.
A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.Mahatma Gandhi
The power of the mind is something that is easy to forget about in the journey for health and happiness in life. God has given us incredible minds and He has empowered us to make changes in our lives! It’s amazing to see how much impact a mindset can have on someone… it can be the difference between a dark existence of self destruction or the full and abundant life that God makes available to us.
Each person is on their own journey regarding mental health and thought habits, including myself, but one thing is true for everyone: Jesus cares about mental health, and He empowers us to overcome our struggles in this area.
Here are some of my personal tips and resources that have helped me in my journey.
Ask for help
- Ask for help from God. He’s not going to force Himself into our lives without an invitation. Invite Him to come and help you break free of addiction or pain or depression. – HE is the one who brings freedom and peace. HE is the one who renews our minds. And HE is the one who created us! So He knows exactly what we need on this journey.
- Ask others for help. Isolation is the place of most danger for us when it comes to our mental health. It’s in isolation that we start to believe the lies and negativity inside our own heads because there is nothing outside our situation to prove us wrong. Find a couple good friends who will speak positivity and truth into your life. Stop being around people who speak negativity and who tell you whatever you want to hear to make you feel good. Get people around you who love you enough to challenge you and tell it like it is! Connect with them on a regular basis. whether over the phone or in person.
Self-care and Self-love
Loving yourself has to do with a change in your mindset… you must be able to see yourself through God’s perspective, but there are some actions you can take to help the mindset change.
- Do your nails
- Make yourself a foot bath
- Treat yo’ self! Get a special treat or meal or drink
- Watch your favourite movie
- Start journaling!
- Choose a verse or quote that is positive and encouraging. Speak it outlaid to yourself every day!
- Start up a new hobby
- Go out with some positive friends
- Diffuse essential oils! They can help balance mood. (Get YL essential oils here)
- Get rid of toxic friends, toxic music, toxic everything
- Take a break from social media and the news
- Discover a new music genre
- Try a new clothing style!
- Go on a 21 day fast/cleanse
- Start being active and working out
- Read some personal growth books
We are chosen by Him. Special to Him. Called out of darkness into light!
Choose to believe TRUTH.
This is the most important, and hardest, step when it comes to changing thought patterns, overcoming self hatred, or just maintaining good mental health… we MUST CHOOSE to focus our minds on truth, even if everything within us is pulling the other direction.
- Begin to be aware of your internal thoughts on a daily basis. What does your mind go to most often? What do you start to think about when you feel afraid or uncomfortable or insecure? In stressful moments, do your thoughts go to things that bring life and lift you up, or does your mind instantly go to an addiction, or toxic thought patterns?
- Identify negativity or lies that you believe. Once you can recognize which toxic thoughts are happening on a daily basis, then you can start to replace them with positive thoughts and truth! Turn “I’m not good enough” into “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength”.
- Find truth in the Bible. I have scripture images scattered throughout this post. Put them as your phone’s wall paper and memorise them! Read them out loud to yourself daily!
Change is possible! God empowers you!
The beautiful thing about our minds as well as who our God is, is that He always makes freedom and redemption possible. ALWAYS. He has given you the power to change your current circumstances.
For nothing will be impossible with God.Luke 1:37
Its important to know that healthy thought habits and good mental health IS POSSIBLE and you have the power, through Christ, to do something about it.